Thursday, July 2, 2009

July 2, 2009

I was lazy and didn't take pictures today. But I have some others from yesterday!

The walk yesterday was mostly very annoying (attention spiders : I hate walking through your webs. You hate rebuilding them after I walk though them and start flailing. Maybe you could not build them on the middle of the path?), and for a long time I did not have any luck taking pictures of dragonflies. They were being especially weary and uncooperative. I kept trying to cojole them into (1) sitting still and not flying away when I got close and (2) to sit on a perch I could get close to at a reasonable angle and (3) to sit in the sun where there was adequate light (since I need at least f/8 for depth of field, 1/100 or so for steady handholding, and don't like pushing the ISO past 400). So I had no luck until I met this pretty lady.



You might recognize her from the second photo from yesterday. Yep, that's the same dragonfly. She was very cooperative, patient, and understanding, and was willing to try lots of perches and poses. Great model, nice body, and gorgeous eyes.

Here are some nice black and white glamor shots :

precarious.
segmented.

And some others...These are all uncropped, so you can see how close I was (my lens was probably within 3 inches for some of these) and how I got some unusual perspectives. Typically I can only get shots of their backs or sides, more or less straight on.







No comments:

Post a Comment