Sunday, November 6, 2011

6

So my D40 bricked last week with an "Error: Press shutter release button again" message that does not go away if I press the shutter release button again.

Poking around the interwebs and taking it to the local shop suggests that it is probably a fatal shutter issue. I am gonna send it in to Nikon to evaluate, but if I had to guess I'll get quoted a $230 or so repair, which is pretty much exactly market value for a D40.

I'm already a luddite, and this does not help. I don't think I am old enough to be complaining they don't make them like they used to. But my film cameras range from 20 - 60 years old and yet it is my four year old plastic fantastic wonder that is not worth repairing. Admittedly, it was close to the 40,000 shutter actuations mark, which is probably not unreasonable for a consumer camera.

The good news is that I have some film getting souped, so I should have new pictures in the next couple days. And a replacement might not be too far away either.

1 comment:

  1. "I'm already a Luddite, and this does not help... But my film cameras range from 20 - 60 years old and yet it is my four year old plastic fantastic wonder that is not worth repairing..."

    Crikies, you sound like me :-P

    ReplyDelete