Saturday, November 2, 2013

Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 Color Heliar

50mm f/3.5 Voigtlander Heliar













Forgive the white balance of these photos, the lighting in my apartment is weird.

Filter size: 27mm (!)
Close focus: 3.5 feet or 1 meter
Aperture range: f/3.5 - f/22 (detents at half-stops)
Aperture blades: 10
Depth of field scale for f/4, f/8 - f/16, no IR index.

Comments: Comes with a screw-in metal hood with slip-on metal cap.  Collapsible, but not as compact as the 50mm f/3.5 Elmar, comparable to the Summitar.  Very large if you use the hood.  Infinity lock.  Unfortunately easy to knock the aperture ring as it is connected to the hood - this is my least favorite part of the lens.  I am worried that a knock to the front of the lens will damage the aperture.  I also dislike the very unusual filter size - I bought a 27mm - 46mm adapter, but it is ungainly.  I'd love to find a 27mm - 39mm adapter if one exists.

The nickel finish is interesting, but clashes with the finish of most cameras. My sample is also getting a sort of dirty appearance from use.  Disappointing - I think a standard silver finish would be preferable.

A sharp lens, with a bit of swirl to the out of focus areas.  I have have only good things to say about the optics.

More info: Camera Quest

















































More photos from this lens

1 comment:

  1. Let's see now.

    Probably the finest performing lens on the planet and all you can worry about it that the nickel finish doesn't go well with your camera color.

    Ahh well, to each his own I guess.

    ReplyDelete