Saturday, September 19, 2009

September 19 2009

Sorry for the lack of updates. Since classes have started I have been very busy. The way they do it here is that there is a three week period where you are supposed to attend all of the courses you might be interested in.

This has some advantages and disadvantages. I am taking one class just because I sat in on it and loved the professor and his enthusiasm. However, at the same time it actually doesn't give you much freedom to visit classes. All the classes are covering material on the first say, so going to a different class which meets at the same time means missing material. It also meant I was attending 9 different classes for two weeks. On Thursdays this means 8 hours of consecutive math class!

Things should settle down after this week. One of the classes I am in is just a three week review course. I will however still be taking 5 math course, all of which are quite challenging, and at least one of the professors has a very different teaching style than any thing I've experienced before.

The program has a very lenient policy about changing a class from for credit to audit, so I have a safety net of sorts.

I haven't had much time to take photographs since classes started, (which is sort of good, at the rate I was shooting). Hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow I will go explore some more.

Last night I attended a concert at the Palace of the Arts (in the same building as the Ludwig museum), which was only 300 forints for students ($1.50!) although it "standing room" officially. In practice there were open seats we could have taken. The Obuda Danubia Orchestra played, along with Heja Domonkos and Gergely Boganyi. The pieces included Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky, and Weber-Berlioz. Nothing I was familiar with, but it was quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment