Wednesday, January 11, 2012

More macro musings

So I was looking at this lens reversal ring I stumbled upon and thinking I should try it out. The only wide angle lens I have lying around at the moment is the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S. However, that lens already focuses very close, so I was curious how much closer it could get reversed. And I have an extension tube sitting around, so why not see what happens if I put the 28mm on that?

And then I had an idea. The Grinch I got a wonderful, awful idea! What if I put the 28mm on the reversal ring on the extension tube?! (Interrobang!) It was simply too silly not to do.

I don't have a model handy, so I just grabbed the most photogenic thing I could find.

Try not to judge the picture quality overmuch (especially the metering, and the focusing isn't so hot either), and ignore the man behind the curtain camera. I was doing everything I could to maximize image quality (self timer, tripod, stopping down, etc.) but still fighting to get focus and position and what not.

First, here is how close a normal 50mm f/1.4 AI-S focuses (1.5 feet or 0.45m, or to about 1:7 as I recall):



Here is how close the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S focuses (7 inches or 0.2m, or to about 1:4):


Here is how close the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S focuses on a PK-13 extension ring. The lens is about a half inch from the subject!


Here is the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S reversed:


Here is the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S reversed on a PK-13 extension ring:


And to compare, here is how close the AF-S Mirco Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 G SWM ED IF Aspherical Nano Crystal Coat OMGWTFBBQ focuses (1:1 or even a little closer if you focus manually):


What did I learn?
1) A 28mm lens on a PK-13 gives almost 1:1 reproduction. Reversed it gives even greater magnification!
2) CFL lights might be good for the environment, but they are hard to balance for.
3) The D200's auto white balance is kinda crappy. I think my D40 actually did better!
4) Thank goodness for preset white balance! Now I finally know how to do it. I just need to get a white or grey card for my bag so I have something to reference.
5) Extension tube + 28mm lens = no working distance. It was around half an inch. A 55mm macro lens is already pushing it before you add an extension tube.
6) Reversing the lens works pretty well, but without anyway to focus makes it awkward. You should probably have a focusing rail.
7) My tripod is not nearly good enough. Even with no leg extension and no center column extension. Also, it's hard to make adjustments when locking them down shifts the position of the head. I need to find some way to get better support with out spending all my lens lunch money...

More experimentation to come...

Finally, to quote The Box o' Truth, it's fun to shoot stuff. With cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment